Youth Cave Romania was set up with a number of aims:
- To give groups of young Irish people training in caving skills, and associated scientific knowledge, thereby preparing them for leadership roles in schools, universities and adult caving clubs.
- To provide a focal point for such training.
- To introduce Irish students to the planning and carrying out of an overseas expedition.
- To bring together young people from both North and South Ireland in adventurous and challenging circumstances.
- To explore some of Eastern Europe's most spectacular caves and karst regions, and to meet some young Romanian cavers.
- To give young Irish cavers an introduction to underground scientific research by working alongside Romanian field researchers.